[rspec-users] before_validation callbacks bypassed when stubbing :valid?

Edvard Majakari edvard at majakari.net
Wed Apr 16 07:34:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Zubin Henner <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> I'm testing an ActiveRecord model using rspec and mocha, and found that
>  if I stub out the :valid? method, all before_validation callbacks are
>  also skipped!

Naturally, as it is AR's valid method which triggers those callbacks,
and you just stubbed it.

Not a straight answer to your question, but hopefully helpful
nevertheless: you could consider implementing
class method new_valid for each of your objects, so that whenever the
concept of a valid object changes, there's
only one place you have to fix. However, as Ashley suggested, it might
be that you'd rather want to resort to pure
mock objects instead.

--
"One day, when he was naughty, Mr Bunnsy looked over the hedge into
Farmer Fred's field and it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr