[rspec-users] Inspect STDERR in a story

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 15:07:30 EDT 2008

On 14 Apr 2008, at 14:36, Edvard Majakari wrote:

> ..because you're likely smart enough to avoid using file as a
> temporary variable whenever possible :)

Ha, I don't know... I haven't checked Daily WTF lately to see if any
of my code has made it on there :)

> First off, using the method similar to above would break bad if you
> run tests in parallel inside the same process. But
> that's easy enough to fix (eg. add some random stuff). No, I don't run
> stuff in parallel yet because deep_test is not ready for RSpec yet,
> but in the future, I hope I'll be able to.

Well I'm already using something similar - the stories make a
temporary directory with a random name to run the tool inside, so I
guess a statically named stderr.out file would be ok in there.  It's
just that using a file to capture half the output of a command seems
really ugly.

I had checked out deeptest and it looks pretty cool.  Fingers crossed
it will support RSpec soon