[rspec-users] Does Ctrl-Shift-V in Textmate ever annoy you as an RSpec user?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:29:01 EDT 2008

I love the TextMate feature of syntax checking ruby source with ^V.
But often when I use it in an RSpec example group or a story steps
file, I run into the problem that, although the file is syntactically
correct, I get all kinds of warnings like:

   line 44: warning: useless use of '==' in void context

which can produce a rather large tooltip, forcing me to scan to the
end to see the Syntax OK I'm looking for, and worse, causing TextMate
to scroll to the first line with a warning.

Here's how to fix this:

1) Open the bundle editor, look at the Validate Syntax command in the
Ruby bundle.  You want to create a similar command in the RSpec
bundle.  Copy the text of this command, go to the RSpec bundle, add a
new command, and paste the text in.  Make sure that the options save:
nothing, input:entire document, output: show as tooltip, and
activation: key equivalent are selected.  Click in the input field
next to key equivalent and type ^-shift-v.  Set the scope to
rspec.ruby.source

2)  Now look at the text for the command, change the line

     result = `"${TM_RUBY:=ruby}" -wc 2>&1`

     result = `"${TM_RUBY:=ruby}" -c -W1 2>&1`

which kicks the warning level down a notch.

3) Now look at the language definition in the RSpec bundle

   The first two lines should look like this:

{    scopeName = 'source.ruby.rspec';
    fileTypes = ( 'spec.rb' );

change that second line to:

    fileTypes = ( 'spec.rb', 'steps.rb' );

This should let the bundle 'claim' story files as well.  You'll get a
few snippets that aren't really appropriate, but having those
expectation snippets in a steps file is nice.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/