[rspec-users] Multi-line steps

Glenn Ford glenn at aldenta.com
Thu Apr 10 13:28:07 EDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On 4/9/08, Ashley Moran <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 9 Apr 2008, at 14:14, aslak hellesoy wrote:
>>
>>> Just a style comment: I usually strive for a single When (in this
>>> case
>>> Fred uploads the csv file).
>>> The other ones are Givens.
>>
>> Hmm, I've written a lot of Selenium stories lately, and they look
>> like
>> this:
>>
>>   Given ...
>>
>>   When the user visits /my_page
>>   And clicks on "Edit"
>>   And types "Cow" in the favourite_animal text field
>>   And clicks the save button
>>
>>   Then ...
>>
>> Is that bad?
>
> Not bad, but perhaps misleading. Given is used to express
> preconditions, wheras When is for an action. Her you are expressing
> preconditions, even if those preconditions are action-based instead of
> state-based (e.g. the known state of the work is that the user has
> performed these actions)
>
> Does that make any sense?
>
> Pat

This actually sounds more confusing to me when viewed in the context
of my own stories, and it seems similar to what's going on here.  I
write a lot about the user's interaction with the site and what should
happen, so I have a lot of stories that look like:

Given database is in this state
When user does this stuff in browser
Then database should be in this new state

If the point of the Story is to see what happens when a user clicks
buttons while the app is in a certain state, then moving those to a
"Given" means you have no more actions left.  If all the action
happened in the "Given", then there won't be a When statement at all.

Glenn