[rspec-users] Multi-line steps

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:14:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Ashley Moran
>
> <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi
>  >
>  >  I just wondered what the plan was for multi-line steps.  Is anyone
>  >  working on it?  I've just come across a real use for it (including
>  >  small text files in the story).
>
>  It' might be a little clunky, but I've recently done something like
>  this in a story involving uploading a csv file

>    When Fred creates a csv file
>    And the csv file has a record with "first_name", "last_name"
>    And the csv file has a record with "Bilbo", "Baggins"
>    And the csv file has a record with "Arwen", "Evenstar"
>    And Fred uploads the csv file

Just a style comment: I usually strive for a single When (in this case
Fred uploads the csv file).
The other ones are Givens.

>  The step for the first line creates an empty string object, and the
>  next three append to it. The final step does whatever is needed to
>  turn the string into a TestUploadFile or whatever is needed.

Still interested in seeing how a multiline step would look.
I'm also interested in how we can do more FIT-like things using
tables. But maybe that belongs in a different tool...

Aslak