[rspec-users] External Dependencies (was Multi-line steps)

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:41:51 EDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 8:13 AM, aslak hellesoy wrote:

> I'm working on a Treetop (http://treetop.rubyforge.org/)
> implementation of the Story parser.

Hey Aslak, while I love the idea of exploiting treetop for this, this
would be our first external dependency for end users. That was one of
the reasons I didn't use treetop in the first place - it had just been
released and Brian suggested exporing it when I was working on Plain
Text Stories.

Personally, I'm in support of external dependencies, especially in
light of recent improvements to Rubygems that make it even easier for
a gem to manage its own dependencies. But thus far we've had an only
slightly-less-than-official policy of no external dependencies. Has
your thinking on this issue shifted as well?