[rspec-users] Advice / Turning a Usecase into a Rspec Story / Granularity ofstories

Corey Haines coreyhaines at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 14:51:08 EDT 2008

+1 on sheer awesomeness of this presentation! Thanks for sending the slides
out! We are struggling/actively discussing our use of plain text stories,
and this really adds a lot to our conversation.
thanks.
-Corey

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Bart Zonneveld <loop at superinfinite.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >  On 3-apr-2008, at 14:12, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >  > On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Ashley Moran
> >  > <ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> >  >> On 03/04/2008, joseph <joe at eshopworks.co.uk> wrote:
> >  >>
> >  >>>
> >  >>> Example Story (High level):
> >  >>>
> >  >>> Story: Web admin manages pages within the admin system
> >  >>> Scenario: Add page
> >  >>> Scenario: edit page.
> >  >>> Scenario: delete page.
> >  >
> >  >> This seems too coarse to me.  The controller I'm working on now
> >  >> will end up
> >  >> with a corresponding story for each of your scenarios.  My
> >  >> scenarios are
> >  >> along the lines of "User edits page with valid details", "User
> >  >> edits page
> >  >> with missing details", "User edits page and clicks cancel", "User
> >  >> with
> >  >> insufficient priveleges tries to delete page" etc.  I try to make
> >  >> a scenario
> >  >> for each common or complex thing that changes the state of the
> >  >> system - they
> >  >> would never fit in one story.
> >  >
> >  > On the other hand. Keeping these finer grained scenarios within a
> >  > single story allows branching using GivenScenario which only works
> >  > with scenarios within the same story.
> >
> >  I am having the same struggles with the granularity. Is there a good
> >  "sample" app out there on the interweb?
> >  Or perhaps someone from the list wants to share their story? :)
>
> I addressed this in my talk at ETEC last week. Slides are here:
>
> http://www.chariotsolutions.com/slides/pdfs/ete2008-IntegrationTestingWithRSpec.pdf
>
> Cheers,
> David

http://www.coreyhaines.com
The Internet's Premiere source of information about Corey Haines