[rspec-users] rSpec, Selenium and screenshots

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:27:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Andrew WC Brown <omen.king at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Bart Zonneveld <loop at superinfinite.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey list,
> >
> > I'm currently playing with the selenium acceptance test-thingies, and
> > I want to build something that saves a screenshot when a test fails.
> > However, I have no clue whatsoever where to implement this. I'm
> > thinking it should be along the line of:
> > - apply a general after_each, in which we
> > - check whether we were using selenium (no idea how yet), and
> > - if an error occured, take a screenshot, and save it somewhere
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > thanks a bunch,
> > bartz

> Doesn't Selenium already do that?
> Mine takes screenshots on failure.

Selenium does support this but I don't think it's automatic. spec_ui
(part of rspec-exts at rubyforge) automates this, but it's quite dated
and doesn't work w/ the current rspec. I know Aslak has something
working with WATIR and the current RSpec, but has yet to open source

All this to say that we will be supporting this, likely in an updated
spec_ui. Just a matter of when.