[rspec-users] Newbie : how to require to lib from spec under autotest?

Peter Fitzgibbons peter.fitzgibbons at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:42:06 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Peter Fitzgibbons <
peter.fitzgibbons at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Scott Taylor <
> mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:38 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 5, 2008, at 12:28 AM, "Peter Fitzgibbons" <
> > peter.fitzgibbons at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have the RSpec sample in ./rspec_bowling, with...
> > ./rspec_bowling/lib/bowling.rb
> > ./rspec_bowling/spec/spec.opts
> > ./rspec_bowling/spec/bowling_spec.rb
> >
> > when I autotest, I get this:
> > $autotest
> > /usr/local/bin/ruby -S
> > /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rspec-1.1.3/bin/spec -O spec/spec.opts
> > spec/spec_helper.rb spec/bowling_spec.rb
> >
> > 1)
> > ArgumentError in 'Bowling should score 0 for gutter game'
> > wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)
> > [..snip..]
> >

> > This is the error - no path problem. There is a method expecting no
> > arguments that is being called with one.
> >
> > HTH,
> > David
> >

> > Sure - that test fails - but why do we see the next result? (see below)
> >  What is rails doing in the background?
> >
> > Scott
> >

> This is not a rails app, it's standalone ruby.
>
> And yes, as I highlighted,the interesting bit is the second run where
> instead 'require' fails.
>
> Thanks in advance for further discussion!
>
> Peter

Hello All,

Thanks for your tips.
In the end, what I needed was a lesson on Ruby Load Path.  Pickaxe 2 pp172
"Where Ruby finds its modules" gave me the answer.  I needed to set
environment variable RUBYLIB

export RUBYLIB=./lib:../lib

so that

$ruby -e 'puts $:'
./lib
../lib
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-cygwin
.
Now autotest gets the proper require twice in a row, when the spec file
reads :

require 'bowling'

Hope this helps you, next grasshopper of the RSpec FU!

--
Peter Fitzgibbons