[rspec-users] Advice / Turning a Usecase into a Rspec Story / Granularity ofstories

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 08:12:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:34 AM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2008, joseph <joe at eshopworks.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Example Story (High level):
> >
> > Story: Web admin manages pages within the admin system
> > Scenario: Add page
> > Scenario: edit page.
> > Scenario: delete page.

> This seems too coarse to me.  The controller I'm working on now will end up
> with a corresponding story for each of your scenarios.  My scenarios are
> along the lines of "User edits page with valid details", "User edits page
> with missing details", "User edits page and clicks cancel", "User with
> insufficient priveleges tries to delete page" etc.  I try to make a scenario
> for each common or complex thing that changes the state of the system - they
> would never fit in one story.

On the other hand. Keeping these finer grained scenarios within a
single story allows branching using GivenScenario which only works
with scenarios within the same story.

Story: Web admin manages pages within the admin system
Scenario: Add page

Scenario: edit page with valid details
GivenScenario: Add page

Scenario: edit page with missing details
GivenScenario: Add page

Scenario: user with sufficient privileges deletes page
GivenScenario: Add page

Scenario: user with insufficient privileges deletes page
GivenScenario: Add page
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby