[rspec-users] Advice / Turning a Usecase into a Rspec Story / Granularity ofstories

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 05:34:10 EDT 2008

On 03/04/2008, joseph <joe at eshopworks.co.uk> wrote:
> Example Story (High level):
> Story: Web admin manages pages within the admin system
> Scenario: Add page
> Scenario: edit page.
> Scenario: delete page.
> I'm unsure if this granularity is productive for a rspec story.

Hi Jospeh

This seems too coarse to me.  The controller I'm working on now will end up
with a corresponding story for each of your scenarios.  My scenarios are
along the lines of "User edits page with valid details", "User edits page
with missing details", "User edits page and clicks cancel", "User with
insufficient priveleges tries to delete page" etc.  I try to make a scenario
for each common or complex thing that changes the state of the system - they
would never fit in one story.