[rspec-users] How to write the very first example?

Matthijs Langenberg mlangenberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 17:43:18 EDT 2007

Many posts on this list are about using RSpec with Rails and that's the way
I'm also using RSpec all the time.
Unfortunately there isn't that much info about using RSpec for standalone
Ruby projects.
I must admit I'm really having a hard time writing the very first example(s)
for a fresh standalone Ruby project. I haven't really got a clue where to
start, how to call the first example and how to describe it.
I want to use the outside-in approach, but that suggests the first example
you write should specify the workings of the whole project, right?
I alway catch myself focusing on dependancies and start from the inside
instead of the outside. (if I implement this first, I can use it as a
building brick for that feature, and if that feature is implemented I can
work on that other feature.)

So, where do I actually need to start?