[rspec-users] Cannot build trunk

Doug Wright douglasdoright at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:25:29 EDT 2007

I apologize if this is a very dumb newbie issue, but I really want to
experiment with the new "Story Runner" functionality in rspec and I'm having
trouble using the trunk.

I've tried in both windows and linux environments and have different
problems on each.

On linux, I execute svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk to check
out the trunk.  This completes successfully, so I try to build the gem.  The
readme on building says:

"check out source from svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk. Then do the
following:
rake gem
gem install pkg/rspec-0.x.x.gem (you may have to sudo)"

This doesn't work in trunk, so I cd into trunk/rspec and execute rake gem.
This fails with:

dwright at hendrix:~/trunk/rspec$ rake gem
(in /home/dwright/trunk/rspec)
mkdir pkg
rm -rf pkg/rspec_on_rails
mkdir pkg
rm -rf pkg/RSpec.tmbundle
rake aborted!
No such file or directory - ../spec_ui
/home/dwright/trunk/rspec/Rakefile:227:in `chdir'

On windows (vista), I can't seem to successfully check out the project.
When I execute:

svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk

I get the following error part-way through the checkout:

svn: In directory 'trunk\RSpec.tmbundle\Preferences'
svn: Can't move 'trunk\RSpec.tmbundle\Preferences\.svn\tmp\Symbol List:
Behaviour.tmPreferences.tmp.tmp' to
'trunk\RSpec.tmbundle\Preferences\.svn\tmp\Symbol List:
Behaviour.tmPreferences.tmp': The parameter is incorrect.

I can't proceed in this case because the checkout won't complete.  This may
be an svn setup problem on my part and, if so, sorry to bring it here.

Overall, I'm assuming that when I get the gem built and installed, I will
need to get the "edge" version of the rspec and rspec_on_rails plugins in my
rails project in order to play with Story Runner.  I tried just getting the
latest versions of the plugins, but without updating my gem, these
(understandably) don't work.

If anyone has the recipe for setting this up so that I can play with Story
Runner, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Again, I apologize if these are overly
newbie questions.  I'm not very experienced with subversion and relatively
new to rails - but absolutely loving rspec!

Thanks!

-Doug Wright