[rspec-users] Getting Started with Story Runner

Andrew WC Brown omen.king at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:14:30 EDT 2007

I'm trying to generate stories based on Dan North's example.
I'm not sure how to do this.

require File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), "helper")

Story "Account Holder withdraws cash", %{
  As an Account Holder
  I want to withdraw cash from an ATM
  So that I can get money when the bank is closed
}, :type => RailsStory do

Scenario "Account has sufficient funds" do

  Given "the account balance is $", 100 do |amount|
    @account = Account.new(:balance => 100)
  end
   And "the card is valid" do
    @account.should_not have.error_on(:balance)
   end
   And "the machine contains enough money" do
    @account.sufficient_funds?
   end
  When "the Account Holder requests $", 20 do |amount|
    @account.withdraw(amount)
  end
  Then "the ATM should dispense $", 20 do |amount|
    post "/account/show", :account => {:amount => amount} #show the receipt
  end
   And "the account balance should be $", 80 do
    @account.balance.should be_eql(80)
   end
   And "the card should be returned" do
    post "account/index"
Scenario "Account has insufficient funds" do; end
Scenario "Card has been disabled" do; end
Scenario "The ATM has insufficient funds" do; end

end

.
Scenario: Card has been disabled
.
Scenario: The ATM has insufficient funds
.

4 scenarios: 3 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 pending

FAILURES:
  1) Account Holder withdraws cash (Account has sufficient funds) FAILED
  NameError: uninitialized constant Account
  /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:266:in
`load_missing_constant'

When a failure occurs in a story does it always print out a heapstack or is
my code incorrect?

On 9/21/07, Evan David Light <evan at tiggerpalace.com> wrote:

> There are also a couple of examples buried in the trunk
> under examples/story/game-of-life/behaviour/stories
> On Sep 20, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Andrew WC Brown wrote:
>
> I'm guessing their isn't a generator for stories yet?
>
> ./script/generate story add_person
>
> On 9/20/07, James Hughes < hughes.james at gmail.com> wrote:

> > how

> > > Pat wrote up an awesome tutorial/example:
> > >

> > http://evang.eli.st/blog/2007/9/1/user-stories-with-rspec-s-story-runner
> > >
> > > That should get you started.
> > >

> > This pastie may be of use as well:
> >
> > http://pastie.caboo.se/92472