[rspec-users] How far to go with ActiveRecord unit tests without hitting the database?

David James davidj503 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 01:20:21 EDT 2007

I'm currently try to push my limits a little bit with some of my unit
testing -- trying to avoid saving ActiveRecord objects to the database and
take advantage of mock/stub objects.

How far should I expect to get in this direction?  From what I can tell,
ActiveRecord seems to fight me when it comes to associations.  In other
words, many associations seem to require database queries.

Have others had success in mocking/stubbing associations?  In particular,
have you had luck with has_many :through?