[rspec-users] How to write a plugin that uses rspec internally?

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:37:37 EDT 2007

On 9/15/07, David James <davidj503 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My team is working on a plugin and we want to use RSpec internally for the
> plugin's tests.
>
> (a) What are some different ways to go about this?  Should we rely on the
> RSpec gem?  Should we expect that the "host" Rails application has installed
> the RSpec plugins?  Are there other options?
>
> (b) Which approach from (a) would you recommend?
>
> (c) Would you recommend any particular plugins to study along these lines?
>
> Thanks,
> David

Hey David,

I wrote a plugin generator that uses RSpec instead of Test::Unit.
Another little improvement is that it'll create and hook up a
schema.rb file so that you can use a separate db for your specs.
Check it out at
http://evang.eli.st/blog/2007/4/4/rspec_plugin-generator

Users will need rspec if they want to run the specs.  If they just
want the plugin though and don't care about running the specs, there's
no dependency on rspec.

Pat