[rspec-users] Posted this in "dev" last night but I'm not sure that anyone reads it

Evan David Light evan at tiggerpalace.com
Fri Sep 14 21:21:37 EDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> I agree that it would be nice if story runner treats an empty
> Given/When/Then as pending.  But what do you mean it treats pending as
> an error case?

The actual implementation of how a Scenario is defined as pending.
The implementation raises a particular type of Error (name eludes me
as I'm not steeped in code at the moment, sorry) which the
ScenarioRunner rescues and, based on that, then processes the
Scenario as pending.  Typically, this would simply be a conditional
branch in the code and, frankly, seems like an abuse of error handling.

Incidentally, I submitted the patch last night to allow Scenarios
without blocks to default to pending.  Hopefully, Dan (North) likes
it.  It makes sense that the expectation metaphors through RSpec (and
now Story Runner) would behave consistently.  This just makes
Scenario behave like "it".

I have yet to look closely at the implementations of Given/Then/When/
And (forgot about that one, thanks!).  Maybe if I get some time this
weekend.  Unfortunately, I'm spending the rest of tonight and most of
tomorrow doing some work for the office...

The deeper I get into it, the more that I love this tool....