[rspec-users] Failing to raise an exception in a stub

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Thu Sep 13 13:22:18 EDT 2007

I've come across rather strange behaviour when trying to raise an
exception in a stubbed method.

I'm speccing the behaviour of a Rails create action, where I'm using
save! to catch failed saves. In the case of working save, I'm using
the following stub:

which works fine.

However, in the negative case,

The save! call in the controller doesn't seem to work. I get the
following error:

ArgumentError in 'ClientsController POST /clients with invalid
parameters should show new form again'
wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)
41:in `create'

The line #41 consists only of

I'm at a loss seeing where the wrong number of arguments is really
happening because save! certainly shouldn't assume any args.
Moreover, both cases work fine in the real app, so it seems to me
something funky is happening when stubbing the method.

Anyone else stumbled upon anything similar?

Jarkko Laine