[rspec-users] Rake tasks getting in the way of edge (uses gem instead)

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:55:11 EDT 2007

So I'd been running gem releases of rspec for the past several months,
and I installed edge rspec so that I can use Story Runner.

I'm running into a problem because I've got a couple rake tasks that
reference "spec/rake/raketask".  If I try to run "rake spec" then it
pulls in the gem version instead of the plugin version.  rake blows up
saying that the versions are incompatible...RSpec is at 1.0.8 and
rspec_on_rails is at r2507.

If I remove those rake tasks then it runs fine.  So it just seems that
when rake starts up, it loads all the available task files, which
includes a reference to require rspec stuff.  Since the plugins
haven't been loaded yet it gets the gem version.

afaik the solution is to build a new gem.  However I don't want to
have to tell my team members to update their gem every single day.
Also I think including rspec in vendor/plugins is supposed to obviate
that anyway, but this is probably just some path loading stuff.

Anyone else run into this?  How do you handle it?

Pat