[rspec-users] Deprecating the mocking framework?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 11:42:12 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've talked this over w/ a couple of the other committers and we've
decided that we will NOT be deprecating the mock framework, at least
for the foreseeable future. If/when we do, it will happen with plenty
of notice and a clear, painless (as much as is possible) upgrade path.

To be clear: this decision is purely pragmatic. Benefits of the
existing framework cited in this thread are significant (one-stop
shop, generated specs for the rails plugin, etc). And the amount of
work it would take to do it right (backwards compatibility, easy
upgrade path, support for multiple external frameworks, etc) far
exceeds the perceived cost of maintaining the existing framework.