[rspec-users] Deprecating the mocking framework?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 16:04:07 EDT 2007

On 9/2/07, Scott Taylor <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2007, at 12:55 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> >> This decision, if it is made in this manner, is suicide for RSpec.
> >
> > I simply don't understand this statement. Why is this such a big deal?
> > RSpec's mock framework offers pretty much ZERO over mocha or flexmock
> > - the only thing is that it saves you from typing 24 or 27 characters
> > in a config file, depending on your preference. 21 if you use RR.
> >
> > After that, the functionality is pretty much the same as the other
> > frameworks
>
> I'm a little confused about this discussion.  Why don't we just do
> the following:
>
> 1. Hand off the mocking/stubbing framework off to someone else.  It
> will be their project
>
> 2. Make the mocking/stubbing framework a dependency of the rspec gem
>
> 3. Make it the default (as it is now)
>
> 4. Provide clear directions for changing mocking frameworks (as we
> have now).
>
> I thought the end goal with refactoring the mocking framework out was
> not that we shouldn't be using it, but, that we (David, Aslak, Brian,
> etc) won't have to maintain it.  Or am I missing something?

Well, it's not simply a matter of US maintaining it. It's a matter of
it being maintained at all in light of the fact that mocha and
flexmock exist. Put simply, there never should have been an rspec mock
framework.

But here we are.

In my view, we either put the thing to sleep or keep it part of rspec
and forget the whole deprecation thing. Handling it off to someone
else to maintain seems silly to me.

FWIW,
David