[rspec-users] Deprecating the mocking framework?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sun Sep 2 13:36:47 EDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 12:55 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On 9/2/07, Wilson Bilkovich <wilsonb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This decision, if it is made in this manner, is suicide for RSpec.
>
> I simply don't understand this statement. Why is this such a big deal?
> RSpec's mock framework offers pretty much ZERO over mocha or flexmock
> - the only thing is that it saves you from typing 24 or 27 characters
> in a config file, depending on your preference. 21 if you use RR.
>
> After that, the functionality is pretty much the same as the other
> frameworks

I'm a little confused about this discussion.  Why don't we just do
the following:

1. Hand off the mocking/stubbing framework off to someone else.  It
will be their project

2. Make the mocking/stubbing framework a dependency of the rspec gem

3. Make it the default (as it is now)

4. Provide clear directions for changing mocking frameworks (as we
have now).

I thought the end goal with refactoring the mocking framework out was
not that we shouldn't be using it, but, that we (David, Aslak, Brian,
etc) won't have to maintain it.  Or am I missing something?

Scott