[rspec-users] Rspec Release Plan (was Am I missing something with Heckle?)

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Wed Oct 31 14:56:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 4:53 pm, David Chelimsky wrote:

> We're going to a release model in which 1.odd.x will be considered
> experimental. This means that while we will document code-breaking
> changes in subsequent releases (so you know what to do to move
> forward), we will not commit to backwards compatibility to these
> releases.

I've always been puzzled by this way of handling beta releases, which
quite a few open source projects follow.  What's the thinking behind a
1.odd, 1.even pattern, as opposed to offering 1.x and trunk?  (It's
not hard to fetch trunk and build a custom gem - I've got a seven line
script that does everything, including the TMBundle.)

> When we're ready to commit to a given API, we'll release 1.2.0. After
> that we will be committed to backwards compatibility to 1.2.x (which
> will implicitly remain compatible with 1.0.x).

If 1.1 introduces breaking changes, but 1.2 is backwards-compatible
with 1.0, what happens to the API changes that appear in 1.1?

blog @ http://aviewfromafar.net/
linked-in @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran
currently @ home