[rspec-users] autotest displays no output

Wes Gamble weyus at att.net
Wed Oct 31 12:35:44 EDT 2007

 From a previous post - the bottom line is that even in Cygwin,
File::ALT_SEPARATOR returns "\".  In autotest.rb (under ZenTest/lib), the
method named "ruby" which attempts to return the path to the executable
doesn't work correctly on Windows.

See below.

I ran into this as well - see my posts here:
http://chrisdpratt.com/2007/09/04/rails-rspec-autotest-redgreen-and-snarl-reasons-i-dont-like-windows/

There's a bug in ZenTest:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14203&group_id=419&atid=1678

The fix is to remove the smartness in zentest that attempts to construct
a proper path to Ruby on Windows (I assume that's why they put it in
there).

So in the autotest.rb file in the ZenTest 3.6.1 gem, make sure that the
definition of the "ruby" method looks like this:

# determine and return the path of the ruby executable.
  def ruby
    ruby = File.join(Config::CONFIG['bindir'],
                     Config::CONFIG['ruby_install_name'])

    return ruby
  end

and then autotest will be able to find your ruby executable.

Note that I never got the red/green thing working in snarl although it
does work in the command window if I do it there by hand.

Wes