[rspec-users] Am I missing something with Heckle?

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Wed Oct 31 10:56:34 EDT 2007

El 31/10/2007, a las 15:40, "David Chelimsky" <dchelimsky at gmail.com>
escribió:

> On Oct 30, 2007 7:05 PM, Ashley Moran <work at ashleymoran.me.uk> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I can't get heckle working.  In fact, I've built an example so simple
>> that it either shows a bug, or I am being really, REALLY stupid.
>
> Heckle is hosed in trunk. We'll get it fixed before the release. Of
> course, that means the release won't be as soon as we hoped :(

Recently with all of the activity on the story runner front I've
thought that RSpec could benefit from a slightly more "branched"
development process. At the moment it appears that *all* development
activity occurs on the trunk, which means that when there are long
periods between releases you have no choice but to live with the old
version or sit on the bleeding edge.

If RSpec had a "development" and "maintenance" branch (or "stable" and
"devel"; "master" and "maint"; call them what you will) then it would
be easier to contemplate intermediate maintenance releases while
working on big new features which take a long time to get "baked in",
like the story runner.

As an example, consider how the Rails 2.0 preview release came out and
the trunk wasn't really ready to have a release cut from it for
compatibility, so people have had to follow the trunk. It would have
been nice to be able to cut a 1.0.9 release from a maintenance branch
instead.

If the suckiness of Subversion's merge functionality is a problem then
RSpec should consider moving to a different SCM, or at least layering
one on top of the existing Subversion repo (ie. "the" Subversion repo
continues to be the centralized distribution point, but the devs do
the "real work" using Git).

Cheers,
Wincent