[rspec-users] Spec custom finders

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:10:13 EDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Steve <vertebrate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some finders in my models where I write some of the sql myself. I
> of course want to test these, but am not sure the best way. Should I just
> let them roll through to the db, and verify they return the correct
> objects based on the fixtures I load, or should I spec the actual query? I
> know that DB access is sort of frowned upon, but is this a situation where
> it is more or less acceptable? My spec looks something like this, but just
> feels funny because I'm essentially rewriting the query.
>
> describe User, 'when calling find_by_username' do
>   before(:each) do
>     User.stub!(:find).and_return(nil)
>   end
>
>   it 'should convert the username to lowercase' do
>     uname = 'Joe'
>     uname.should_receive(:downcase).and_return('joe')
>     User.find_by_username(uname)
>   end
>
>   it 'should call find with custom options' do
>     User.should_receive(:find) do |a, b|
>       a.should == :first
>       b[:conditions][0].should == "lower(username) = :username"
>       b[:conditions][1][:username].should == 'joe'
>     end
>     User.find_by_username('Joe')
>   end

When I have custom queries I insert a couple records that should
match, and a couple that shouldn't.  Run the query and make sure the
results only include the ones that should match.

Another way is to write a story that calls that finder somewhere.  I
haven't found that to be particularly useful at this point, but I
think that's the approach that David C prefers.

Pat