[rspec-users] plain text stories

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:39:15 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, John W. Long <ws at johnwlong.com> wrote:
> I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why stories are nice for me
> as a programmer? It seems targeted towards people who don't want to
> write code. Generally speaking, I don't see the need for that on the
> projects I'm working on.

1. If you have customers then stories are a great communication tool
2. They provide end-to-end integration tests
3. They help you think carefully about the feature set and value of
your application.
4. Stories enable better refactoring.  Using mocks makes your object
specs more brittle, so changes to your code often requires changes to
the specs.  Because stories work at a very high level, specifying
observable behavior of the system, you can change the underlying code
without breaking behavior.

> Is it possible for this to be a separate library from RSpec so that
> RSpec core doesn't become bloated?

User stories are an integral part of BDD and as such are a part of
RSpec core.  Splitting them up would be a gigantic step backwards