[rspec-users] Testing layouts with RSpec on Rails

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:25:35 EDT 2007

On 10/21/07, Steve <vertebrate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:12:09 +0100, Matt Patterson wrote:
>
> > It occured to me that it would be nice to have a spec that would barf
> > if I ever nuked the layout's yield (or, indeed, one of its
> > content_for yields), mainly because they're the integration point
> > between layouts and views, and we're primarily testing them in
> > isolation (a good thing...)
> >
> > I was mainly wondering if anyone had some great practices in testing
> > those integration points, and layout stuff in general, that I could
> > learn from...
> >
> > Matt
>
> Was there ever any resolution on this? This would be a *very* beneficial
> capability to have for making sure views work as expected.

It would be awesome if you could just do this:

$yielded = false
render "/layouts/application.html.erb" do
  $yielded = true
end
$yielded.should be_true

However, it doesn't work :(

Basically, someone with more time on his/her hands than I needs to
figure out how to observe the yield call and verify that it happened
after the fact (as opposed to using a message expectation).

Patches welcome!