[rspec-users] Side Effects in Stories

Jonathan Linowes jonathan at parkerhill.com
Fri Oct 19 15:21:18 EDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 1:54 PM, s.ross wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Daniel N wrote:
>> On 9/11/07, s.ross <cwdinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a story where the user resets the password [hey, this story
>> thing really rocks!]. It is expected that the password will change
>> and that the user will be redirected to a login screen. A side effect
>> is that the user will receive email with his/her new password.
>> Where I'm stuck is in ascertaining whether mail was generated.
>> Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?
>> Thanks
>> -----------------
>> Story: Reset the Password
>>    As a registered user
>>    I want to be able to reset the password and have it emailed to me
>>    And then I want to log in
>> Scenario: Reset password for an account
>>    Given A valid account is given:   joe at schmoe.com
>>    When Resetting password for joe at schmoe.com
>>    Then Password state should change in database joe at schmoe.com
>>    And Registered user should be redirected to login screen
>>    And Email should be sent to the registered user
>>    And the new password should work :)
>> Hi s.ross
>> I know this was a while ago that you asked this question, but did
>> you end up coming up with a solution?
>> -Daniel
> Nope, and embarrassingly, I took a different direction without
> preserving any traces of what I had been doing (can you say
> "frequent checkins?"). Ooops. Everything but verifying that the
> email was sent was running, but I never figured out how to verify
> that.
> --steve

from my specs on restful_authentication's models/user_observer_spec.rb

context "A UserObserver" do
   setup do
     @user = mock('user')
     @user_observer = UserObserver.instance

   specify "should call UserNotifier.deliver_signup_notification on
user creation" do

(sorry its in pre-1.0 format)

of course, this checks whether the email gets sent, not whether it
got delivered... :)