[rspec-users] first cut at blockless given/when/then

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:42:55 EDT 2007

> step_matchers("arithmetic") do
>  given_matcher("an addend of $addend") do |addend|
>    @adder ||= Adder.new
>    @adder << addend.to_i
>  end
>  when_matcher("they are added") do
>    @sum = @adder.sum
>  end
>  then_matcher("the sum should be $sum") do |sum|
>    @sum.should == sum.to_i
>  end
> end
> That allows you to do something like
> Story: Adding numbers
>   uses arithmetic vocabulary
> or something along those lines.

I like the idea of mapping a story to a vocabulary. I just don't like
doing it in the story text itself - seems more dev-facing than
customer-facing. But perhaps the notion of vocabulary is a good thing
to have front and center to help the customer understand the
constraints of what can be written. Need to think about that some