[rspec-users] Any tips on teaching BDD with RSpec?

Ed Howland ed.howland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:52:00 EDT 2007

On 10/17/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think you'll BOTH learn more and be far more efficient if you pair
> > together rather than giving him a bit of theory/tips & tricks and then
> > leaving him to his own devices.
> Hear, hear!!!!!!!

I have to agree w/Pat here, wrt to pair programming. (And let me say
that I am _so_ jealous!)

If it were up to me, I would start with BDD, Probably, immediately
right after hello_world.rb. Even before they learn any Ruby syntax at
all. Your toy app sounds more like a real application to me. It has
actual user stories, confirmable results, etc.

Why not break the usual cycle of code a little, test, code a bit more,
test, repeat, from the start? RSpec is a DSL, like Rails is a DSL. And
you don't need to know much ruby to get started in Rails. I say that
holds true in RSpec as well. The only qualms I can see is the concept
of Mocks. But you could introduce that in something he is familiar
with like Java.

I only wish my mentor had forced me to learn test first, back in the
day. But that was before all you geniuses where on the scene to set us

Ed Howland
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain proprietary, confidential
and/or legally privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from all computers."