[rspec-users] plain text stories: motivation number 27

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Wed Oct 17 12:58:12 EDT 2007

That truly would be the "holy grail".  Before this whole discussion of
plain text stories came up I was playing around with the idea of
creating an app for story collaboration between developers and
customers.  So developers and customers alike would login to the system
and create, modify, and comment (I was think Django Book styling
commenting) on stories. I think this would facilitate discussions of
stories between developers and customers who don't have the luxury of
always working at the same location.  There are of course many other
benefits of a system like this for teams that are on site- it would
create living documenation that would evolve with the project, and
versioning would provide a window on past iterations.  The other benefit
would be to have helpers in the app that would explain to customers what
a story is exactly, and maybe have wizards on creating a story (so a
step process going though scenarios, and the different clauses  like
given, when, etc.)

I was thinking that the app would then generate the skeleton of the
story file for the developer to work with.  What I was having hard time
solving was updating the stories based off of  modified stories.  This
problem was touched on the step matchers thread when someone thought
that the plain text stories would generates the "real" story testing
code.  But having the stories being truly plain text based would get rid
of this problem and allow such a story collaboration app to be created
and be very straightforward to do.

For this reason I would love to see something like plain text stories
happen.  The stories could be pulled from such an app and be ran just
like your suggesting they could be pulled from lighthouse.

I guess you can call me crazy too. :)