[rspec-users] RailsStory runner - empty response

Alvin Schur a.schur at nucleus.com
Tue Oct 16 14:01:18 EDT 2007

Alvin Schur wrote:

>> On 10/16/07, Alvin Schur <a.schur at nucleus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I generated a new rails app then installed rspec and rspec_on_rails
>>> from
>>> trunk.
>>>
>>> I then created a sample story:
>>>
>>> require File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/helper"
>>>
>>> Story "View Home Page", %{
>>>   As a user
>>>   I want to view my home page
>>>   So that I can get a birds eye view of the system
>>> }, :type => RailsStory do
>>>
>>>   Scenario "Publisher with no videos" do
>>>
>>>     When "visiting", "/" do |page|
>>>       get page
>>>     end
>>>
>>>     Then "viewer should see", "companies/show_initial" do |template|
>>>       response.should have_text(/Welcome/)
>>>     end
>>>   end
>>>
>>> end
>>>
>>> When I run the story, I get the error:
>>>
>> <snip ...>
>>

>>> FAILURES:
>>>   1) View Home Page (Publisher with no videos) FAILED
>>>   Spec::Expectations::ExpectationNotMetError: expected /Welcome/,
>>> got ""
>>>

>> <snip ...>
>>

>>> I was expecting to see the default rails index page in the response.
>>>
>>> Where am I going wrong?
>>>

>> Do you see the rails index page when you run the app?
>>

> Yes.

I created a basic rails integration test for the default welcome page
(public/index.html) and this failed as well: no route found for /   or
page not found errors.

I added a basic controller:

class WelcomeController < ApplicationController

  def index
    render :text => "Welcome alvin"

The rails integration test works as expected with the welcome controller.

The RailsStory works as expected with the welcome controller.

Alvin.