[rspec-users] Top Quoting?

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:57:06 EDT 2007

On 10/15/07, Jay Levitt <lists-rspec at shopwatch.org> wrote:
> On 10/15/2007 5:04 PM, aslak hellesoy wrote:
> > Good point. Reminds me of this classic:
> >
> > A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of the discussion.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
> >
> > On 10/15/07, s.ross <cwdinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sort of off-topic and don't mean to complain, but many on this list
> >> use top quoting. That works ok if you don't quote the whole previous
> >> thread. However, I'm finding that scrolling forever to locate the
> >> reply on longer threads is getting tedious. What's the rationale for
> >> top-quoting?
>
> Yeah.. this is an age-old Internet debate, of course, but I think the
> problem is that (a) we're all top-quoting but (b) we're never trimming,
> not even the mailing-list footer.
>
> If you're gonna top-quote/bottom-post - and that is my personal favorite
> for exactly the reasons demonstrated in the A&Q above - you gotta trim.
>
> Also, you should never mix styles in a single thread, the way this post
> does.. :)
>
> Part of the problem may be that the rspec footer doesn't follow .sig
> rules; instead of the long line, it should use dash-dash-space.  In my
> incredibly scientific test, Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 on Windows will
> automagically trim .sigs that follow the rule, and therefore, so will
> all clients anywhere.

I think one problem is that GMail encourages you to top-post.  Not
everybody uses gmail of course, but a lot of devs do.  I'm probably
guilty of not trimming enough because GMail folds that stuff out of
the way for me.

Personally, I'd prefer it if people don't top-post but I don't care
too too much.  I just stick with whatever approach has already been
adopted in a thread.  That's probably the pacifist in me.

Pat