[rspec-users] Top Quoting?

Jay Levitt lists-rspec at shopwatch.org
Mon Oct 15 17:41:52 EDT 2007

On 10/15/2007 5:04 PM, aslak hellesoy wrote:
> Good point. Reminds me of this classic:
> A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of the discussion.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
> On 10/15/07, s.ross <cwdinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sort of off-topic and don't mean to complain, but many on this list
>> use top quoting. That works ok if you don't quote the whole previous
>> thread. However, I'm finding that scrolling forever to locate the
>> reply on longer threads is getting tedious. What's the rationale for
>> top-quoting?

Yeah.. this is an age-old Internet debate, of course, but I think the
problem is that (a) we're all top-quoting but (b) we're never trimming,
not even the mailing-list footer.

If you're gonna top-quote/bottom-post - and that is my personal favorite
for exactly the reasons demonstrated in the A&Q above - you gotta trim.

Also, you should never mix styles in a single thread, the way this post
does.. :)

Part of the problem may be that the rspec footer doesn't follow .sig
rules; instead of the long line, it should use dash-dash-space.  In my
incredibly scientific test, Thunderbird on Windows will
automagically trim .sigs that follow the rule, and therefore, so will
all clients anywhere.

This is a sig that will get trimmed, by Thunderbird, at least.
Drink Coca-Cola!