[rspec-users] Spec/Test Speed

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Oct 6 23:16:55 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 6:11 AM, Jerry West wrote:

> In-memory with sqlite worked fine with rspec-0.8 (it's been a while
> since I did this!).  Google for instructions or drop me a line.  Don't
> forget autotest/zentest to run only those tests which have ben
> affected
> by changes.

Actually, on my current rails project I can't use sqlite, because of
a bug in rails:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/9385

So out goes that idea (at least for the forseeable future).  What
speed difference do you see with in-memory database?

I'm already using ZenTest.  When going from red -> (subset) green =>
(all) green, the last step is killing me (because I have to wait
around for 2 minutes for all the specs to fail.  This usually results
in me spending a lot of time responding to emails while I should be
developing ;)

Scott