[rspec-users] [OT] - Overriding a rake task - Re: NO NAME (Because of --dry-run) output

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Oct 6 14:00:24 EDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 10:21 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On 10/6/07, Joshua Schairbaum <joshua.schairbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm just getting started with rspec, I'm running on edge for
>> both.  In
>> a fresh project, I freeze edge, install the edge rspec plugin.  I
>> generate a simple rspec_model and run the spec.  It passes.  When I
>> run rake spec:doc, I get the following output: - NO NAME (Because of
>> --dry-run) where the specification should be.  In fact if I just make
>> a pending spec, it does the same.
>>
>> I've tracked it down to something in 'spec/rails' because if I
>> comment
>> that out and add the class declaration directly in the spec file it
>> works as it's supposed to.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this behavior before?
>
> There is an auto-generation feature that let's you do this:
>
>   specify { something.should be_something }
>
> which would produce output:
>
> - should be something
>
> The thing is that it relies on actually running the examples, which
> spec:doc does not do.
>
> If you're trying to run the specs so they produce the specdoc
> output, do this:
>
> script/spec spec -fs
>
> That will run the examples and produce the output.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Somewhat off topic, but I ran into this the other day when I was
trying to override that rake task to create the specdoc in text &
html.  Just wondering - how would I override that rake task?  I've
seen this before:

Task::TASKS["spec:doc"] = nil

But it no longer seems to work with newer versions of rake (i.e. the
ones which have namespaces)

Scott