[rspec-users] NO NAME (Because of --dry-run) output

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 10:21:34 EDT 2007

On 10/6/07, Joshua Schairbaum <joshua.schairbaum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm just getting started with rspec, I'm running on edge for both.  In
> a fresh project, I freeze edge, install the edge rspec plugin.  I
> generate a simple rspec_model and run the spec.  It passes.  When I
> run rake spec:doc, I get the following output: - NO NAME (Because of
> --dry-run) where the specification should be.  In fact if I just make
> a pending spec, it does the same.
>
> I've tracked it down to something in 'spec/rails' because if I comment
> that out and add the class declaration directly in the spec file it
> works as it's supposed to.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before?

There is an auto-generation feature that let's you do this:

  specify { something.should be_something }

which would produce output:

- should be something

The thing is that it relies on actually running the examples, which
spec:doc does not do.

If you're trying to run the specs so they produce the specdoc output, do this:

script/spec spec -fs

That will run the examples and produce the output.

Cheers,
David