[rspec-users] Stories VS Scenarios

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Fri Oct 5 14:35:42 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I have read Dan North's post 'Whats in a Story?'
(http://dannorth.net/whats-in-a-story) but I am still having a hard time
knowing when I should break requirements up into separate stories or
keep them as scenarios.  I am currently trying to write a story
(stories) for the registration process of a site.  The registration
process is a multistep process that changes based on the type/role of
user that is signing up.  So depending on the user's role (given by the
user on the first step) I will be asking different questions.   Should I
write stories for each of these roles or should these just be scenarios
of the following story:

Story "Signin process", %{
  As a person
  I want to sign up for an account
  So that I can view and contribute content
}, :type => RailsStory do

Scenario "An individual looking for support" do....

Or should I break them up into individual stories for each role?

Story "Signin process for an individual", %{

In all cases the underlying WHY is always the same.  So for that reason
I think they should be in the same story.  However, these paths may be
more complicated with there own sub-scenarios (paths) so I am wondering
if they each merit their own story.  Any suggestions on how to approach
this?  One story or many?