[rspec-users] [OT] Re: Spec/Test Speed

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Oct 4 01:58:38 EDT 2007

Okay - Now I think we are getting off topic, but...

> Ah ... you're on a Mac ... Intel or PPC? If Intel, you might want to
> look into their VTune tool (I think it runs on MacOS). Even if you
> don't
> have the latest whiz-bang multi-core Intel chip, VTune will tell you
> stuff you probably never knew you should care about.

I'll check that out.

> (I'm an Intel-free zone, and so I use AMD's CodeAnalyst.) :)
> Database, eh? Maybe you should be recompiling the database from source
> too. PostgreSQL? MySQL? There are *lots* of tweaking gizmos for them,
> plus a benchmark called "MySQL Super Smack".

I've heard of it.  Any to recommend?

As an aside: how correlated do you think performance of specs is to
real performance of a production rails app?  I'm asking this as
knowing almost nothing about mysql (I learned about the query_cache
just the other day) - as a developer who just wants my app to run (it
crashes at least once a day).