[rspec-users] Spec/Test Speed

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Wed Oct 3 23:40:27 EDT 2007

Just wanted to pick some smart people about this topic: What are you
guys doing to increase the speed of your specs?

I'm a big fan of autotest, but right now my current project has 438
specs (for rails).  Most of them are in the model, and for all of
them we are hitting the database (they are more functional specs than
unit-tests).  The whole suite takes 112 seconds (meaning the red to
green cycle leaves me learning how to juggle, just like Jim Weirich
with make).  Any recommendations, short of mocking/stubbing to get
around this?  Some of the suggestions I've heard are:

- In Memory Database w/ Sqlite.  As far as I know, no one has gotten
this to work (with rspec, at least)
- Using faster hardware.  I don't have the budget right now for a
better machine.  One interesting idea is this one: http://
www.dcmanges.com/blog/deep-test-preview, although as far as I know,
it doesn't work for rspec.
- Only running specs per file, and using continous integration to do
the rest.  Right now this isn't an option for testing my User model,
which has 92 examples, and takes 20 seconds.  Also, I'd really rather
not commit before I know the whole test suite passes
- Other ideas?

Scott