[rspec-users] Posted this in "dev" last night but I'm not sure that anyone reads it

Dan North tastapod at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 17:10:39 EDT 2007

Hi Jonathan.

The pending method uses an exception to fail fast out of the step, but the
runner knows it's a special case so it treats it accordingly. That's why
pending steps or scenarios are reported differently from failures in the
runner. It would be easy to reimplement pending using Ruby's throw/catch
mechanism which is separate from the exception mechanism, I just didn't
think to do it at the time. (Plus, the rspec example runner uses exceptions
too so it makes sense for the story runner to do the same.)

As for the first pending (or failing) step terminating the scenario, this is
a tricky one. You don't want the scenario to carry on executing because
something has already gone wrong (either by failing or simply by not being
implemented yet), but there are listeners that want to know what other steps
would have run, for documentation for example.

I am thinking of something like this: once a step fails, iterate over the
remaining steps in the scenario, passing them into the found_step method on
any documenters, but not actually executing the steps. This would strike a
balance between actually executing the steps - which wouldn't make sense -
and simply ignoring them, which makes the documentation look weird.

Maybe they could be coloured differently in the (as-yet-unwritten) html
story documenter, so you would have a bunch of green steps, one red or
yellow step (the failing or pending one), and the remaining unexecuted ones
in grey.