[rspec-users] How thorough do you test?

Chris Olsen lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Nov 21 15:33:06 EST 2007

Thanks for the info.

I like the top down approach that you mentioned.  It definitely makes
more sense to why I would test the views and how it will better define
the model parameters.

I think that I am currently on the same page as you.  Right now I don't
use a mock model in my create tests seeing as I have a perfectly good
model with all the properties that I need to test.
My tests are not at the numbers that it takes as long as yours take to
run, but I can see how that would be an issue at a later time.

When you said that, testing helps you by defining how our code will be
used, seems to be close with Ben's mention of Kinderman's post which has
already started me looking at things from a different angle, which is a
good thing.

When you start testing from the view to model, do you still use the
scaffolded tests.  I am not sure if it is just me, but when I have all
these tests auto-created I find it somewhat distracting.  I can see
where writing them from scratch would eliminate that and allow me to
guide the tests instead of having the auto-generated tests guide me.
What do you guys think about that?

Thanks again for all the advice.