[rspec-users] How thorough do you test?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Wed Nov 21 14:02:42 EST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Chris Olsen wrote:

> Testing models is great and would not be able to create anything
> without
> it, but I am finding testing the controllers and views is a pain.
>
> Rest based controllers don't seem to change that much when compared to
> the auto-generated code that obviously works.
>
> As for views I fail to see why testing it with a mock model does
> anything.  Nothing is ensuring that when changes are made to the model
> that they will also be done to the mocks then causing the test to
> break.
> If anything, having the false security when all tests pass is
> worse, in
> that it may prevent you from double checking something crucial.
>
> I think tests for views makes sense when there is a condition that
> must
> be tested, ex. if a new member must fill in additional fields that are
> made visible only when they are from a certain country.  A test may
> then
> make sense to ensure that the fields exist.
>
> I am still a noob, so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate
> it.

Personally, I find view specs to be very brittle.  I avoid them like
the plague.   Occasionally, I'll integrate_views, but only for a
regression, and in that case I'll usually use real model objects.

As for controller specs - your experiencing the problems that all do
with mocking/stubbing.  I'm sure better tools are out there, on the
way, which will tell you when a stub goes out of date  (maybe you've
changed the name of the method, and so on).  For now, though, such
things don't exist.

For the most part, I think the reason people are using mocks in
testing a rails projects is their speed.  Speed is not some secondary
factor - if your test run slow, you won't run them very often.  I've
already experienced this on current project, where I much more apt to
run the whole suite of controller specs (which exclusively use mocks)
than the whole suite of model specs (which takes around 200 seconds).

Scott