[rspec-users] cap deploy:spec

Jonathan Linowes jonathan at parkerhill.com
Tue Nov 20 20:36:25 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 8:07 PM, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2007 2:55 PM, Jonathan Linowes <jonathan at parkerhill.com>
> wrote:
>> fyi, I just posted this
>>
>> http://www.vaporbase.com/postings/Running_rspec_after_you_deploy
>>
>> - linoj
>>

> I'm kind of confused.  You say that you're not running the specs
> against the production database, but it looks like that's exactly
> what's going on.  What am I missing?
>
> Pat

It confused me too. I assume you're referring to the rake spec command.
I've not followed the code, but what it does is connect to the
development database first (or production one if you say
RAILS_ENV=production) before getting to  spec_helper which in turn
specifies ENV["RAILS_ENV"] = "test" to connect to the test one before
running the specs.

In my case the development: section in database.yml defines the one
on my development machine, so the spec fails when run on the server
with an error cannot connect to the database unless I say
RAILS_ENV=production

Not this only occurs on rake spec, not when running script/spec

see thread http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rspec-users/2007-October/
004206.html

--linoj