[rspec-users] confirming that a model instance was correctly created from POST params

Al Chou hotfusionman at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 01:00:37 EST 2007

I'm wondering whether I'm wasting my time trying to verify that an addition I've made to legacy code is in fact setting a new attribute on a model.

Substruct's (http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct) OrderHelper contains this method:

     1    def create_order_from_post
     2      @use_separate_shipping_address = params[:use_separate_shipping_address]
     3
     4      @order_user = OrderUser.find_or_create_by_email_address(
     5        params[:order_user][:email_address]
     6      )
     7      @order_user.valid?
     8
     9      @order = Order.new(params[:order])
    10      @order.valid?
    11
    12      # Look up billing address and update if customer is logged in.
    13      if @customer
    14        @billing_address = @customer.billing_address
    15        @billing_address.attributes = params[:billing_address]
    16        @shipping_address = @customer.billing_address
    17        @shipping_address.attributes = params[:shipping_address]
    18      else
    19        @billing_address = OrderAddress.new(params[:billing_address])
    20        @shipping_address = OrderAddress.new(params[:shipping_address])
    21      end
    22      @billing_address.valid?
    23
    24      if @use_separate_shipping_address
    25        @shipping_address.valid?
    26      end
    27
    28      @order_account = OrderAccount.new(params[:order_account])
    29      @order_account.valid?
    30
    31      OrderUser.transaction do
    32        @order_user.save!
    33        Order.transaction do
    34          @order = @order_user.orders.build(params[:order])
    35          @order.order_number = Order.generate_order_number
    36          @order.save!
    37        end
    38        OrderAddress.transaction do
    39          # Addresses
    40          @billing_address = @order_user.order_addresses.create(params[:billing_address])
    41          @billing_address.order_id = @order.id
    42          @billing_address.is_shipping = true
    43          @billing_address.save!
    44          if @use_separate_shipping_address then
    45            @shipping_address = @order_user.order_addresses.create(params[:shipping_address])
    46            @shipping_address.is_shipping = true
    47            @billing_address.is_shipping = false
    48            @billing_address.save!
    49            @shipping_address.order_id = @order.id
    50            @shipping_address.save!
    51          end
    52        end
    53        OrderAccount.transaction do
    54          @order_account = OrderAccount.new(params[:order_account])
    55          @order_account.order_id = @order.id
    56          @order_account.order_user_id = @order_user.id
    57          @order_account.order_address_id = @billing_address.id
    58          @order_account.save!
    59        end
    60      end
    61    end

I am adding to the OrderAddress model the concept of whether an address is a business address (as opposed to a home/residential address):

describe OrderHelper do
  it 'should record the fact that the address is a business address' do
     1      order = mock_model( Order, :null_object => TRUE )
     2      order.stub!( :valid? ).and_return( TRUE )
     3      Order.stub!( :new ).and_return( order )
     4      order.stub!( :order_number= )
     5      order.stub!( :save! )
     6
     7      params[:order_user] = Hash.new
     8      params[:order_user][:email_address] = ''
     9      order_user = mock_model( OrderUser )
    10      order_user.stub!( :valid? ).and_return( TRUE )
    11      order_user.stub!( :save! )
    12      orders = mock( 'orders' )
    13      orders.stub!( :build ).and_return( order )
    14      order_user.stub!( :orders ).and_return( orders )
    15      OrderUser.stub!( :find_or_create_by_email_address ).and_return( order_user )
    16      order_user.stub!( :order_addresses ).and_return( OrderAddress )
    17
    18      order_address = mock_model( OrderAddress ) #, :null_object => TRUE )
    19      order_address.stub!( :valid? ).and_return( TRUE )
    20      OrderAddress.stub!( :new ).and_return( order_address )
    21      order_address.stub!( :order_id= )
    22      order_address.stub!( :is_shipping= )
    23      order_address.stub!( :save! )
    24      order_address.should_receive( :save )
    25
    26      order_account = mock_model( OrderAccount )
    27      order_account.stub!( :valid? ).and_return( TRUE )
    28      order_account.stub!( :order_id= )
    29      order_account.stub!( :order_user_id= )
    30      order_account.stub!( :order_address_id= )
    31      order_account.stub!( :save! )
    32      OrderAccount.stub!( :new ).and_return( order_account )
    33
    34      assigns[:use_separate_shipping_address] = FALSE
    35      params[:is_business_address] = TRUE
    36      create_order_from_post
    37
    38      assigns[:billing_address].is_business_address.should be_true

What I am trying to demonstrate to myself is that the addition of a boolean "is_business_address" column to the order_addresses table via a migration allows line 40 of the create_order_from_post method to set this property when an OrderAddress instance is created.  But my example as shown tells me that assigns[:billing_address] is nil when I run it.  Also, I realize that line 16 of the example isn't returning the right thing; it should be an AssociationCollection of OrderAddress.  That's where I'm starting to wonder if I'm spending too much time on something that is probably simple enough that it's already working but disproportionately hard to write an RSpec example for (because the existing create_order_from_post method has no tests or examples and thus isn't easy to test -- witness the 32 lines, modulo blank lines, of stubbing just to get the example to run).

Suggestions on how to write the example, or advice on whether to continue to try, are requested.

Al