[rspec-users] [ANN] Lighthouse and Engine Yard sponsorships

Kevin Williams kevwil at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:57:08 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 8:55 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007 1:21 AM, Kevin Williams <kevwil at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > >

> > > That poses a problem for the poor souls trapped in Windows.
> >
> > No it doesn't. Subversion works great on Windows. Windows users can
> > try to use Git in Cygwin if they really want to, but they can also
> > just use TortoiseSVN or whatever favorite Subversion client they want.
> >

> I wasn't talking about the svn clone, was talking about the sync
> policy "will be synch'ed one time at day"...

I was suggesting to have only one main Subversion repository rather
than two different repositories, so there would be no sync. If there
are two repositories (one Git/Mercurial at EngineYard, one Subversion
at Rubyforge) then certainly getting the sync right is important.

> That in combination with Git, make difficult to be "out of the box" useful.

I'm not aware of anything special in Mercurial that would make this
easier than Git out of the box. It seems Git would be easier, with
full two-way sync with Subversion built in, but if Mercurial has this
as well then I'd say they are about equal in this regard.

> the use of cygwin git is a bit problematic, and sometimes eol styles
> mixes don't like the different interpreters (unix eol against windows
> eol) with ruby-mswin32 and ruby cygwin.

Yes, git on cygwin is a pain, and is only for the brave. The problem
of Git for Windows users goes away if the main repository is
Subversion.

> > With a Subversion repository, you can choose between Subversion as a
> > client or Git as a client (yes, it's actually a local clone of the
> > repository, but a client of the main svn repo as well).
> >
> > http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
> > http://blog.nbwd.co.uk/2007/8/16/using-git-for-rails-development
> >

> Again, was talking about that the git-to-svn sync.

http://blog.fallingsnow.net/2007/08/17/maintaining-an-svn-mirror-directly-from-git/
Mercurial can be used by Tailor in the same manner that Evan describes
here, so I'd say they are equal in syncing.

> The git/mercurial over svn without a proper sync solution will be a
> problem for those users using script/plugin to install and use rspec
> on Rails applications -- since rails is highly integrated with svn for
> these commands.

It wouldn't be a technical problem, as it would be business as usual
for the "script/plugin install" process to pull from Rubyforge svn.
The only problem I see might be a timing issue, but that could be
fixed by sync'ing every commit.

> Anyway, just my comments :-)

A fun discussion to have, I think. :) The switch to distributed
version control is a paradigm shift for many, and I'm curious to see
how this one turns out.