[rspec-users] [ANN] Lighthouse and Engine Yard sponsorships

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 10:55:59 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 1:21 AM, Kevin Williams <kevwil at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/18/07, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 18, 2007 9:57 PM, Kevin Williams <kevwil at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I don't intend to use RSpec source either, but I suspect the most
> > > people would be satisfied with a main Subversion repository. Git users
> > > can check out from / in to a Subversion repository just fine.
> > >

> > That poses a problem for the poor souls trapped in Windows.
>
> No it doesn't. Subversion works great on Windows. Windows users can
> try to use Git in Cygwin if they really want to, but they can also
> just use TortoiseSVN or whatever favorite Subversion client they want.

I wasn't talking about the svn clone, was talking about the sync
policy "will be synch'ed one time at day"...

That in combination with Git, make difficult to be "out of the box" useful.

the use of cygwin git is a bit problematic, and sometimes eol styles
mixes don't like the different interpreters (unix eol against windows
eol) with ruby-mswin32 and ruby cygwin.

> With a Subversion repository, you can choose between Subversion as a
> client or Git as a client (yes, it's actually a local clone of the
> repository, but a client of the main svn repo as well).
>
> http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
> http://blog.nbwd.co.uk/2007/8/16/using-git-for-rails-development

Again, was talking about that the git-to-svn sync.

> Mercurial is a great system. I love the x-platform nature, and it
> works great. I love the svn-like aliases such as "hg up" or "hg ci -m
> 'foo'". I've used it on a number of projects. I've since switched to
> Git because I like the branching/merging behavior much better and
> because you can clone from and commit back to a Subversion repository.
> Choosing Mercurial is fine, but choosing a Subversion repository might
> please more people in the long run. Just an idea, not my religion. :)

Bazaar also allow you repositories that share revision information
between branches. I use it to patch upstream projects until they
commit the fixes I sent to them :-)

The git/mercurial over svn without a proper sync solution will be a
problem for those users using script/plugin to install and use rspec
on Rails applications -- since rails is highly integrated with svn for
these commands.

Anyway, just my comments :-)

--
Luis Lavena