[rspec-users] helper methods starting with should

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:59:39 EST 2007

Hi all,

As an experiment in playing nice with others, we've added the ability
in rspec's trunk to do this:

class ThingExamples < Spec::ExampleGroup

  def should_do_stuff

This is how rspec 0.1 worked, and for people already comfortable with
the classes/methods approach of Test::Unit, it is a more comfortable
entry point to rspec.

For others, however, it has created a problem: you can't write helper
methods that start with should_ because rspec treats them as examples.

Quick show of hands, please:

+1 (with comments please) for keeping the ability to write examples
using should_
-1 (with comments please) for bagging it because you think you should
be able to write helper methods that start with should_.

You may want to peek at the conversation on this ticket before you
respond: http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=3149&aid=15638&group_id=797

Thanks for playing,

ps - In the interest of full disclosure, this is not going to be a
majority vote. My interest is in making rspec more accessible to
people who are likely not on this list and whose voices will not be
heard. I'm just looking to take a pulse from a wider group than the
few that have commented on the ticket.

pps - One suggestion that came up was to make this a configuration
option. I don't love that because it makes rspec more complicated, but
it's a possibility.