[rspec-users] Down with Lambda!!

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 18:59:51 EST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 12:40 AM, Steven Garcia <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Rspec is all about using natural language to define behavior. In this
> context, I feel that lambda is sorely out of place. I was chatting on
> #irc and a pal of mine (wycats) proposed an interesting alternative:
>
> alias_method :doing, :lambda
>
> so instead of something like
>
> lambda {post :create, {:title => nil}}.should
> raise_error(ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid)
>
> we get
>
> doing {post :create, {:title => nil}}.should
> raise_error(ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid)
>
> Now it reads like a sentence..much cleaner and less abstract to those of
> us who are not Ruby wizards (yet)
>
> Chatting with other folks and they are hyped on the idea.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Any chance we could get something like this into trunk?

Probably not. There was a longer discussion of it here:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=13837&group_id=797&atid=3152

As you point out, creating an alias is a one-liner.
The main reason I don't want to add it is that lambda is a common
idiom, and I don't want to set precedence of aliasing core Ruby idioms
just because some people don't like the ones in Ruby.

Aslak